Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Habitat For Humanity Summer project 




Last summer I had the pleasure of working with Habitat for Humanity building homes.  I actually photographed the process from start to finish.  This was a tremendous experience and I would highly recommend anyone to experience the joy of seeing a needy family, final  have a place of their own.




As some of you might recall, Austin experienced a hellish summer with high heat indexes and droughts the entire period.   I was pleasantly surprised to meet a couple in their 70's working side by side together  in temperatures in over 100 degrees!   I asked the gentleman how can he stand to work in so much heat like that.  He told me he grew up on a farm in the Texas panhandle in a time when where were no air conditioners. 






This house was built with love and the generosity of the volunteers with Habitat For Humanity.   I actually first heard about this organization many years ago on  soap opera (Days of Our Lives).  I had always wanted to volunteer.  I first volunteered for the New Orleans branch of Habitat For Humanity prior to Hurricane Katrina.

What gave me pride and joy was to see the The Geveremariyam family on the day of the grand opening of their home at the dedication ceremony. 






http://www.flickr.com/photos/austinhabitat/sets/72157627186162974/with/5936572930/

No comments:

Post a Comment